It's been a busy holiday season, hence the whopping TWO entries for December. Let me fill you in on what's been going on:
- Opened and closed It's a Wonderful Life: A Live Radio Play at Kenyon Hall, which I've talked about extensively here.
- Finished and submitted our Airship Daedalus feature for the debut issue of Mash Tun, to be released at ECC this year.
- Christmas was low-key and we did zero traveling, which led to a much nicer, calmer and less stressful holiday within the immediate family unit. I got some DVDs (including the out-of-print Dead Can Dance Toward the Within live concert, taken from the tour Sam & I got to see in the front row on our anniversary when they played the Moore Theatre in 1993) and some cool books and some very useful gift cards, with which I got this, and this, and this.
- Hosted my family for a post-Christmas Christmas gathering on the 29th. I baked a ham, roasted potatoes and made my specialty salad (mixed baby greens, red grapes, dried cranberries, walnuts and feta cheese with a raspberry walnut vinaigrette dressing). My stepdad brought homemade orange cheesecake. You know you're jealous.
- Got to have drinks with Muriel, who has the distinction of being the catalyst for Raechelle's and my meeting. Rae tells the story in her post, and of course the whole thing is laid out in our blogs.
- Spent New Year's Eve at dinner with Steve, Steph and Isabella, followed by drinks and snacking and general merriment at Dan & Trish's with some other friends as well. The kids went to spend the night with Uncle Gavin & Aunt Michelle in Poulsbo, playing boardgames and having fun.
- Seahawks second string QB Charlie Whitehurst (aka Clipboard Jesus), in combination with a fired-up defense and the loudest fanbase in the NFL, led our rather pitiful 7-9 team to a wildcard spot in the playoffs over the shellshocked St. Louis Rams. Although it's great that we got the division title, here's two things to consider: 1) winning that game reduced our 7th round draft pick for next year to 21st at best; 2) Even if the Hawks can overcome New Orleans this Saturday (which is actually a possibility, given home field advantage, the aforementioned loudest fans in the NFL and a seriously injured New Orleans roster), it's doubtful.that the first team to clinch a division title with a 7-9 record can compete against the eastern division teams with their 12-4 stats and their serious-football-playing. I hope the division title is worth it in the long run...
- Got turned on to Pomplamoose, a duo from San Francisco. You've seen them on the Hyundai commercials. I've been seriously inspired to record again. Thanks a lot, you talented cuties.
- Took the kids to see Tron: Legacy. Pros: decent follow-up to the early '80s classic, amazing visuals, good cast, amazing visuals, and amazing visuals. Cons: major plot holes, jarring CG in the flashback scenes trying to "youthify" Jeff Bridges, major plot holes, cheesy Neo/Matrix finale... and did I mention the plot holes?