|What better train to take to a comic convention?|
- It's far more civilized than the circus air travel has become.
- There is no TSA to frisk you when you get on board; no cancer-causing backscatter machines, no invasive pat-downs. Instead of being treated like a criminal, the passenger is treated like a paying customer and guest.
- The carbon footprint for rail is similar to or lower than air, depending on the trip.
- Our sleeper tickets (first class) were comparable in cost to coach air tickets, and afforded us a shared private cabin which converted to dual bunks. Plus all of our meals were included.
- The seating is far more comfortable than coach air seating, and the overstuffed swivel armchairs in the parlor car puts even first class air seating to shame.
- Complimentary champagne upon embarking.
- Unlimited access to luggage.
- A dedicated steward to administer each car.
- Free WiFi - which was spotty at times but allowed us to work from the luxurious parlor car.
- Said parlor car has a dedicated steward who offers full bar service as well as meal service with selected menu items. And while the dining car accommodates all passengers, the parlor car is only for sleeper passengers and therefore is less crowded and generally more comfortable to take meals in.
- A movie theater.
- An arcade.
- A pretty impressive menu of excellent food.
- Reasonably unrestricted movement about the cars to stretch one's legs or whatever.
- Amazing scenery.
- Meeting and talking to fellow passengers.
- Wine and cheese tasting.
|Parlor car is the shizzlepants|
|Work proceeds in the sleeper cabin|
The end of the line was at Union Station in Los Angeles. From there, we took the Surfliner (commuter train) to San Diego. We got in at almost 1AM to discover the hotel had mis-booked our reservation as starting the following day, but they found us a room at a local HoJo*. It was clean and quiet, and a little more comfortable than a sleeper bunk.
|San Diego Convention Center|
|A place of honor: following The Princess Bride and leading into JourneyQuest|
|The Collectibles full season screening|
|Inside the Convention Center|
|View from the Hilton restaurant|
|Union Station/Santa Fe Depot, San Diego|
|By the power of Grayskull!|
*HoJo = this, not this.