Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Here Comes the Sun

And I say... it's alright.

We had gorgeous weather yesterday. Spring seems to have spring, instantly and with a vengeance. As evidenced by TFMD's marathon sneezing jags. Wheeee!

After standing us up last week, Comcast sent their dude out to set up our revamped service. A new HD-capable set-top box and remote (to replace the ancient AT&T remote that dated back at least 10 years or more), a new cable modem, and phone service to replace Vonage. Gave us a package deal I couldn't refuse. And although I'm usually not down with monopolies, I haven't been screwed by Comcast... yet. What's nice is that, although the projector is not HD, we can still see the HD channels (and they look good, just not true HD on the projector). If and when we upgrade the projector, voila - instant HD. We also moved the old tiny cable box downstairs to the bedroom, and the guy gave us another new remote, so now we have all the channels and the on-screen guide in the bedroom. Nice for chilling in the sanctuary. Rae said she couldn't wait to get sick so she could lie in bed and watch cable all day.

It was an otherwise normal day, until Tyler came to me in the afternoon and asked me to buzz his hair off. After years of fighting haircuts at every turn, and cultivating a very "emo" look. He likes to keep us on our toes, that one. So I happily sat him down in the carport outside, and started with the biggest guard. "Can you go shorter?" he asked. Of course I can go shorter. So in about 3 or 4 passes, I had it down to the 1/2" guard, and he was pleased. He also asked me to shave off his "boy-stache", as he heard that it will grow in thicker if he keeps shaving it.

Before

After

My little boy is growing up. And he looks a lot like Sam. I was taken aback by the "after" photo I snapped. Anyway, he's happy with it and he looks great. And we took advantage of the weather and had a picnic dinner outside: hot dogs and potato salad.

By the time Castle rolled around, I was exhausted. Rae & I slept like two very immobile things, not waking up all night. And I must say, it's a lot easier to rise in the morning when the sun is already coming up.

This week is another emotional roller coaster. From the high of my grandparents' 68th wedding anniversary to the anxiety of my grandmother's repeat hospitalizations and colonoscopies, to the anniversary of my brother Matt's death, to the anniversary of Sam's death. But I'm just going to admire the sunshine and push through. I'm going to get some cucumber rolls for lunch and heat up some brown rice, and try not to think about the downside.

Yep, here comes the sun. And I say... it's alright.

4 comments:

Rowan Bourn said...

I've always been amazed at how much he looks like Sam, even moreso now in the "after" pic, as you mentioned. And Kayleigh bears a close resemblance to you, except she's much prettier ;)

I kinda like the emo look, though. Probably because it's not as extreme as others I've seen. He looks so much younger, too, with the buzz cut, which is probably why I went down to 3/8 of an inch myself :)

Raechelle said...

For the record, I don't sneeze like that in elevators. I politely excuse myself to sit in one place with tissues over my mouth until I'm all sneezed out.

I absolutely love the "before" photo of Tyler. He looks like he's modeling for the latest issue of some teen rag. Cutie pie.

And oddly enough, the sun is not helping me rise at all. I'm still whining at 6am. Wassup with that? Sorry I'm such a pain, sweetie.

Jess said...

He's a very handsome teen--the haircut looks good. There must be something in the air because Morgan wants to cut off his longish hair and go with a mohawk.

Anonymous said...

I love, love, love the "after" look, but then that's to be expected, right? Especially since that's basically how I wear my hair!

xoxo
Annette