Sunday, December 28, 2008

Red Tag Sale

Since I've been a horrible friend to my fellow bloggers and only recently noticed I'd been tagged by both Lucy-fur and Be-eth-a-bub, I really should get to it! Apologies if some of the questions have lost their timely status. It's not you. It's me.

1. Egg nog or hot chocolate?
Hot chocolate with a shot of Scotch or dark rum. And whipped cream or marshmallows - I ain't picky on that part.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?
I don't know. Haven't asked him recently. He usually wrapped presents when I was a kid, but I think he's gotten lazy in his old age.

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?
White/clear. Tree is pre-lit, and all the strings I have now are white/clear. Looks better on the house, looks better in the snow. And NO BLINKING. Just all around classier.

4. Do you hang mistletoe?
Occasionally. From my belt buckle.

5. When do you put your decorations up?
Day/weekend after Thanksgiving.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)?
Growing up, I couldn't get enough turkey/mashed potatoes/cranberry sauce (the whole berry kind). But I gotta say, sitting down to a nice dinner with my (complete) family unit made ham/potatoes/broccoli/stuffing a real winner.

7. Favorite holiday memory as a child?
The time we got a 15ft Christmas tree into our house in Aptos, and had to decorate the top third from the loft railing. Also the Christmas when I got an Action Jackson and his "remote controlled" motorcycle (which was really just a long wire running from a battery pack to the motorcycle). I think I was 4.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
"No clue. Probably walked in on him banging the Tooth Fairy."
> Beth's answer is SO good, I'm stealing it.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
Sometimes. Usually it's something practical like slippers or PJs.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree?
The sucker comes pre-lit in three pieces, goes up and fluffs out (yes, you have to fluff the tree) in about half an hour. Then we hang a bazillion ornaments dating back 40+ years.

11. Snow! Love it or dread it?
I love to look at it and play in it, but I don't like to drive in it or be trapped in my home because of it.

12. Can you ice skate?
Used to. Don't wanna risk all 6'4" 250lbs of angry Scotsman crashing to a cold, hard surface.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift?
Aside from that Action Jackson figure and maybe a Steve Austin from the mid-'70s, two come to mind: 1) favorite gift received, on our first Christmas together, 1984, Samantha gave me an RC Corvette Stingray. They only had them in yellow, so she'd hand-painted the thing in gunmetal blue, my favorite car color. 2) favorite gift given, December 13th, 2008, the ring I put on Raechelle's finger when I asked her to marry me. Sappy? Maybe. But true.

14. What's the most important thing about the holidays for you?
It's all about the family of spirit. And spirits. Heh. He just referenced alcohol in a moderately clever and amusing way.

15. What is your favorite holiday dessert?
A good pumpkin pie where you can actually taste the spices, with plenty of whipped cream.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?
Just being with my family and friends.

17. What tops your tree?
Used to be a couple small calico teddy bears tied together with silk ribbon. Now nothing. The tree goes all the way to the ceiling.

18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving?
You receive by giving.

19. What is your favorite Christmas song?
I think it's a toss-up between Barenaked Ladies w/Sarah McLachlan - God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen/We Three Kings, and Sinéad O'Connor w/Peter Gabriel - Silent Night (makes me mist up every time).

20. Candy Canes! Yuck or Yum?
Not to eat, but they can be honed to a deadly point for self defense.

21. What do you want for Christmas?
Already have it. :)

I'm gonna tag Kayleigh, Dan & Trish. Eat my Christmas!

No comments: