Thursday, January 28, 2010

You Bring the Bullets...

...I'll bring the wine.
- Bob Schneider
  • Dan and Trish are the proud parents of Rosalind Lorraine, who joined us on Wednesday morning shortly after 5:AM.  Mom and daughter are doing well, and dad is over the moon.  All are understandably exhausted.
  • Speaking of new babies, Raechelle got her baby fix when we went to have dinner at Nicole and Dan's on Sunday night.  Austin is a pretty well-adjusted cutie, and although it's been awhile since mine were that tiny, somehow kids can sense a "daddy" vibe, and I got some big goofy smiles.



  • Rae and I discovered that I don't snore nearly as much when I wear earplugs at night.  I guess that makes a certain amount of sense, if the ears are part of the sinus system.  I also slept a lot more soundly last night than I have in several days.  2:30, 3:30, 4:00 and 5:30AM have all been recent wake up times.
  • Rae and I have managed to get some work done on Green Light.  This makes me happy.
  • Gavin and I have been trading the Arrowflight Second Edition manuscript back and forth all week, and it gets ever closer to being able to hand off to Mark Bruno for editing. Anxious to get this one out the door.
  • We're heading to Portland this weekend to see SweetJuice play.  It'll be nice to have a mini-road trip and an overnight away.  Thank heavens for family close by and kids' friends.
  • One of the Facebook memes of late has been the Doppelganger meme, wherein one posts a profile picture of a celebrity or someone one has been told one looks like.  When I was a teenager, I was a ringer for David Bowie.  To wit:


    But now, a bit redder and a few pounds heavier, not to mention more bearded, it was back to the drawing board.  According to facial recognition apps on the web, I'm close to Keifer Sutherland, Jason Statham, and Alan Tudyk.  And while Alan Tudyk is clearly a genetic cousin of the Downings (and I've pre-cast him to play me in Green Light), it's still not quite right.  So Rae made a couple suggestions:


    Dale Earnhardt Jr.

    Max Martini (from TV's The Unit)
    I went with Max.  Although if Vince Vaughn had red hair and blue eyes, we're almost an identical match on body type.
  • Got some paid graphic design work done.  Always nice to have a supplement.
  •  We got everybody in the family doing some kind of therapy, except Kayleigh, who moved on after a year and a half of work.  It's good stuff.  Really helping the process along.
  • I'm down 6 of the 20 pounds I need to lose.  Let's hear it for walking and a dearth of holiday sweets.
  • I had a little microgasm when I heard Florence + The Machine are touring the States.  They are playing but FIVE dates in the whole country, and the West Coast consists of Coachella, Vancouver BC, and Seattle.  I've gushed about this band before, but allow me another dribble: if anyone deserves to inherit the Kate Bush mantle in both songwriting and performance, it is Florence.

    Compare (Kate) : (Florence)

    I can't be the only one who sees the similarity in artistic style.

No comments: